littletinyfish: Dryer fire at Soapies Laundromat in Riverwest.
I came home from game night to all these flashing lights at both ends of my block. Sounds like they got everyone out, though.
I used Soapies once about four or five years ago and those dryers were ancient and disturbingly hot. I’m surprised they held out another five years, but am not surprised it came to this.
iena: It makes me sad because Soapies is such a happy name. Is it plural or possessive? Either way, happy.
I’d feel the same if any of the LaunDRY Lands here burned down.
It’s Soapies, plural, but I could easily imagine a depression-era hobo named Soapie who traded in his shoe stew for a shiny quarter which he used as a down payment for a row of brand new, coin operated laundry machines and then subsequently passed down three generations to the current owners, who still used those exact same machines today.
The good(ish?) news is that the building didn’t burn down, so it may just be a setback, and not the end of the legacy.
In the meantime, patrons will just have to take advantage of the Washing Well just down the street.
[EDIT: Scratch that. I’m hearing Soapies is a total loss.]
RIP Soapie, the lucky hobo with a laundry legacy gone up in smoke.